Statements of Work Training Course
Online Event • May 13 - 14, 2019
CAUCUS Members save $75
This highly interactive SOW workshop uses classroom discussion and group exercises to develop and improve skills in the following areas:
- Best-practice elements of great SOWs
- Getting input from stakeholders for SOW requirements
- Preventing vendors from using SOWs to modify master agreements
- Revising vendor-written fuzzy wording that might shift risk to the customer
- Licensing principles that maximize protections and money savings for customers
- Drafting SOW acceptance tests so customers get what they pay for
- Countering practices used by vendors to defeat customer protections in SOWs
Attendees will also come away with sample templates and checklists providing a solid foundation for negotiating, drafting and managing SOWs.
In Statements of Work (SOWs) we spend a lot of money while many products and services are bought. Oftentimes SOWs fail, causing delays, financial loss and other damages. Some SOWs written by a customer can be so unclear that acceptance testing is almost impossible. SOWs that are written by a vendor are often riddled with fuzzy words that shift all the risk to the customer. Additionally, vendors will use SOWs to modify key terms of a Master Agreement that inevitably put the customer at an increased disadvantage. Even customers with the best templates and negotiated SOWs still get burned by skilled vendors adept at managing the engagement and in turn, bypassing any written protections.
Are your SOWs written by the Vendors?
Do Vendors use SCOPE creep and Change Orders
to charge more and bust your budgets?
Do you need to get control of your SOWs?
May 13, 2019 (11:00 a.m. – 2:45 p.m. EST)
Module I – 3.75 hours with a 45 minute break in the middle
- Barriers to good SOWs
- Defining what’s in scope and out
- Scope vs. terms and conditions
- Drafting technical requirements
May 14, 2019 (11:00 a.m. – 2:45 p.m. EST)
Module II – 3.75 hours with a 45 minute break in the middle
- Licensing and maintenance in SOWs
- Acceptance criteria, milestones, and deliverables for technology buys
- SOW management
May 13 - 14, 2019